Your Guide to Getting Started with GlossGenius
Created an account with GlossGenius but want some pointers on where to start? Start here!
1. Set Up website Preferences
GlossGenius offers a lot of control for your business with preferences that are easy to understand and customize in just a few taps!
Website Info & Online Presence
GlossGenius enables you to take bookings, reservations, and more--all from a stunning online presence. Customizing the look and feel of your website and online presence is easy!
To start, head into Settings > Website Info. Inside Website Info, you'll be able to change a few things:
- Cover photo. A cover photo is essentially your website's background. Some professionals like to put pictures related to their craft, while others like to use an abstract background. You can choose from a preset selection of abstract backgrounds, or upload your own by tapping "Edit Pic" in the top right corner of the Website Info section. Once you upload it, it's updated immediately. Make sure to choose landscape (wide), high-quality images for the best look.
- Your personalized URL. Your URL is the web address that clients can visit to find out more about your business, services and book you. To change your URL, tap "Change My URL". Any URL changes are instantly live! Remember that changing your URL is like changing a phone number -- if you change it after clients knew about it, you'll want to make sure to notify them!
- How your services are displayed. The setting "Display my services visually" allows you to choose whether to show images next to your services or not. Turning this OFF means that your services will be shown in a list view, without any images. Having this ON means that there will be an image attached to each service for clients to see. Some professionals like to show visuals so clients can get a preview of their awesome work.
- Ability to disable online booking. You have full control over whether you want to accept online bookings or not. To disable it, tap the setting "Disable online booking" to ON. When booking is disabled, your business can still have a beautiful online presence so clients can find you and learn more about your business, but when they go to book you, they'll get a cute pop-up that advises them to contact your phone number if they want to schedule.
Inside Settings > Personal Info, you can update your first and last name, email and phone number. In the "About" section, . Note that:
- The About section will show up on your online GlossGenius site and is a great way for clients to learn more about you, your skills, or your business.
- You can also use the About section to share other business policies or rules you have. For example, if you are "By Appointment Only" on Saturdays, then you can add this in the About section.
Head into Settings > Social Accounts to link your website to other social media you have! This is a great way for clients visiting your booking site to discover more about you. You can link:
- Facebook. Enter your Facebook URL in full (example: https://facebook.com/pages/glossgenius). If you're unsure of what your Facebook URL is, check this article out.
- Instagram. Enter your Instagram handle (ex: janesmith). Note that you do not need to put the "@" sign there, since we do that automatically for you!
- Twitter. Enter your Twitter handle (ex: janesmith). Note that you do not need to put the "@" sign there, since we do that automatically for you!
- Pinterest. Enter your Pinterest URL in full. It will be a similar process as your Facebook one.
- Yelp. Enter your Yelp URL in full. It will be a similar process as your Facebook one.
- Another website. If you have another website that you want to connect, enter the full URL of it here.
2. Set Up Business Info
Your business is everything! This section contains some important info for you. Head into Settings > Business Info to get started.
What's the name of your studio? Salon? Chair? Mobile business? Tap Settings > Business Info > Business Name to customize your business name. Note that this business name will appear on your personal website, email / text notifications to clients, receipts and more.
What are your general hours that you want to accept bookings during? Head into Settings > Business Info > Business Hours to adjust business hours to show availability on your site. Note that clients will be unable to book you online during any days or times you indicate as 'off'.
We offer 2-way calendar sync so you can 1) sync your GlossGenius calendar out to another calendar (like Google, iCal, Outlook), AND 2) bring your Google, iCal calendar right into your GlossGenius calendar so all of your events are synced! Head into Settings > Business Info > Calendar Sync to enable that!
Head into Settings > Business Info > Location to set a location. Here's what you need to know:
- Fixed Location. Do you work out of a studio, salon or other fixed location? If so, you'll want to tap the Address field here and add an address. This is important because this is the address that will show up on your website, as well as the one that clients will see when they receive booking info from your business.
- House Call Location. Do you want to allow housecall requests? If so, turn this ON. This will give clients the option to request a housecall when booking you online if this is ON. Remember, if the requested location is too far, you don't have to accept a booking.
Booking & Payment
When it comes to booking & payment, you're in complete control! Visit Settings > Business Info > Booking & Payment. Here's what you need to know:
- Auto-approve appointments. This setting allows you to control how bookings are approved. When this is ON, your bookings will automatically be approved and you won't have to "approve" each one individually. When this is OFF, you will be notified of all online booking requests and you'll need to "approve" each one. Keeping this OFF is great if you want to block certain clients from booking and can "deny" their request.
- Payment processing rate. We offer the industry's lowest payment processing rate and we also give you flexibility to customize that further to fit your business's needs. You can choose between paying a 0%, 1% or 2.6% (standard) rate. Depending on your choice, your fee will be split with clients and conveniently added onto their bill so you never have to remember to collect it!
- Require card. This setting allows you to require a credit card on file for client's booking online. Clients are NOT charged when they make a booking online--their card is merely held as a reservation in case they cancel. Choose to require it from new clients, all clients or no clients.
- Cancellation fee. Turn this on if you want to enforce a cancellation policy. Note that in order for your cancellation policy to be collected, you must have "require card" on so you can have a card on file to take the fee from.
- Cancellation policy. Use this section to add any more detail on your cancellation policy (i.e. you must notify me of a change 48hrs in advance to avoid a cancellation fee).
- Retail sales tax. If you sell retail in your studio, add your municipality sales tax here. The great thing is that we'll automatically add sales tax to products when you use GlossGenius for checkout so you never have to worry about it! Great when tax season rolls around!
- Service sales tax. If you're in a municipality that taxes certain services, add in your service sales tax here. The great thing is that we'll automatically add sales tax to services when you use GlossGenius for checkout so you never have to worry about it! Great when tax season rolls around!
Take advantage of more ways to control booking inside Settings > Business Info > Booking Controls:
- Booking Window. Set a window of time here you require for advance notice on client bookings online.
- Booking Increments. Only want to take bookings on the 1/2 hr, 1 hr or 15 minute mark? (i.e. 10am, 11am or 10:00am, 10:30am, 11:00am). Set those preferences here!
- Allow Processing Time Booking. Time is money! Allow clients to book you during the processing time of over services. When this is ON, a client can book you during any services that you've set up with processing time.
3. Add Services
Services are what clients book you for! If you don't have these set up, a client won't be able to book you online! Head into Settings > Services to create a new one. Here's what you need to know:
- Press the "+" button in the top right corner to add a new service.
- Add info like an image, name, price and duration!
- Add a description for more detail or a Category so it's easily searchable on your site.
- Press SAVE when done!
Need help importing your services from another app or paper? You can ask our team to help you transfer services, retail and appointments through the "Suggestions" section in the Dashboard!
4. Add Retail
If you sell retail at your location, add it here for quick reference and to keep track of sales!
- Press the "+" button in the top right corner to add a new service.
- Add info like an image, name, brand, and price!
- Press SAVE when done!
Need help importing your retail from another app or paper? You can ask our team to help you transfer services, retail and appointments through the "Suggestions" section in the Dashboard!
5. SET NotificationS
You're going to love how GlossGenius notifications for you and your clients simplify your life! Head into Settings > Notifications Center to manage all client and personal communications!
We offer notifications like confirmations, reminders, follow-ups, birthdays and more. All of them are easy to tap on and off and fit to your preferences!
6. Add Your Clients
Client management is key! And you're going to love how much GlossGenius helps you with it! If you have a book of clients, you'll want to add them. Visit the "Clients" tab at the bottom center of the app to do so. Note:
- You can import clients from your phone's directory
- You can add clients manually
- Need help importing your clients from another app or your paper book? You can ask our team to help you transfer clients through the "Suggestions" section in the Dashboard!
7. Test Appointment
Appointments with GlossGenius are fun. Seriously. Tap the "Calendar" tab at the bottom center of the app to get started testing how appointments work.
- Self-schedule appointments: On your calendar, you can switch between the day/month/week view. To self-schedule an appointment, tap on the "+" sign, or tap and hold on the calendar. Add the info and DONE!
- Block off personal time or a lunch break: Right from the calendar, tap "Block Personal Time". This will ensure that clients are unable to book you during that block.
- Edit your business hours for a special day: Normally work on Fridays but taking one Friday off? Tap "Edit Business Hours" to change your business hours for only a specific day.
To edit an appointment, personal time block or business hours, go to the Calendar and tap on it. Press "Edit" in the top right corner and save your changes!
8. Get Set Up For DepositS
Yes, we make payment processing easy! Get set up for automatic, next business day transfers by heading into Settings > Payments > Link Bank Account. This will ensure you're set up for direct deposits!
9. Test Checkout
We make payment processing easy, affordable and integrated. You're going to love how easy checkout is. Tap the "Checkout" section at the bottom tab of the app. Once there, you can:
- Check out an existing appointment. If there are any appointments in your queue, they'll show up in this section. Tap on it and you'll head right into Checkout!
- Create a new checkout for a walk-in/retail purchase. If you don't have a pre-existing appointment with a client, no worries! Tap the "+" sign in the top right corner of the Checkout section to create a new walk-in/retail purchase.
- View Past transactions. In the Checkout section, press the "Past" button at the top center of the screen. From here, you'll have a list of all past transactions and their details.
10. Link A CARD
Add a credit card to ensure your account's access to GlossGenius after your free trial is done! Don't worry, you'll still get the full benefit of the free trial! Head into Settings > Payments > Link My Card.
11. Let Clients Know Where TO Book You!
Once you have Steps 1-10 set up, you're ready to rock! It's a great idea to let clients know where they can book you! You can find your booking website address in a few places:
- At the top of your Dashboard. Inside the mobile app, tap "Dashboard" and you'll see your personal website address in the top gradient box. It will resemble something like "jane.glossgenius.com". That's the website address you can advise clients to visit!
- Inside Settings > Website Info. You can also get your website address and preview your site inside the app's Settings > Website Info.
Once you have that info, inform your clients! We make it easy. Here are a few suggestions on how to inform your clients:
- Use the GlossUp, the built-in text message marketing feature. Head into More > GlossUp to send a mass text message to all of your clients in a few taps! It's the easiest thing you've done. Plus, check out some of the suggestions in the GlossUp section on what to say to clients.
- Use the eMailer, the built-in email marketing feature. Head into More > eMailer to send a mass email message to all of your clients in a few taps! You can do it all from your smartphone!
- Promote your site on social media. Head into More > Promote to access easy social sharing options so you can promote your site on social media!
- Add your site to your Instagram bio. Take your booking URL (the website address at the top of your Dashboard) and add it to your Instagram bio. Many professionals using social media do this so new and existing clients looking at their Instagram have a super easy, beautiful way to book them.
- Link your site to your Facebook 'Book Now' button. If you have a Facebook 'Business' page, Facebook allows you to have a "Call to Action" button at the top of your Facebook Business page. Many professionals like to link their booking site here, since it gives clients visiting your Facebook page an easy way to book you. Take your booking URL (the website address at the top of your Dashboard) and add it. You can view more resources from Facebook on how to do this here.
MORE: Explore other cool features
Okay here's the deal: we just covered the basics. There is SO much more to GlossGenius that you're going to love. Tap on the More button and explore:
- GENIUS University. More awesome resources and super short videos on getting started!
- Reports & Analytics. Your next best friend for understanding data about your business ina really easy way.
- Reviews. The center to get client reviews and promote yourself!
- Email marketing & text message marketing. Your next biggest money maker!